Fried Green Tomato Breakfast Sandwich with Egg, Bacon and Avocado Ranch
Created by Chef Edward Lopez
4 slices of green heirloom tomato
¼ C all-purpose flour
1 farm egg (beaten)
½ C panko bread crumbs
¼ C grape seed oil
½ C avocado ranch
½ C Cherry Tomato Jam
4 slices of crispy thick-cut applewood smoked bacon
4 sunny side up farm eggs
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp shallots (minced)
8 oz cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
2 tsp granulated sugar
1 tsp red wine vinegar
¼ C aioli (or mayonnaise)
½ C buttermilk
1 California avocado
1 tsp chopped Italian parsley
1 tsp chopped chives
1 tsp chopped tarragon
Fried Green Tomatoes
1. Season the green tomato slices on each side with salt and black pepper.
2. Place the flour, beaten farm egg, and panko bread crumbs in three separate, small bowls. Bread the tomato slices in the following order: dust with flour, then dip into egg, and then coat with panko. Place the breaded tomatoes on a plate.
3. Heat the grape seed oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Fry the breaded tomatoes until golden brown on both sides.
4. Transfer the fried green tomatoes to a plate lined with a paper towel.
1. Place a medium sauce pan on medium low heat. Add olive oil, shallots and cherry tomatoes.
2. Stir until shallots turn translucent and tomatoes begin to melt. Add sugar and both vinegars; continue to cook for approximately 5 minutes or until tomatoes are completely melted and concentrated.
3. Use warm, or place in a covered container and store chilled up to one week.
1. Place all ingredients in a food processer and puree until just combined.
2. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
SHORTCUT: Use prepared ranch of your choice if desired; just puree ¾ cup with avocado.
1. Separate the Thomas’® Original English Muffins and toast.
2. Spread the avocado ranch in the Nooks and Crannies® of the bottom slice and tomato jam on the other.
3. Place a fried tomato slice over the avocado ranch; follow with crispy bacon and sunny side up egg.
4. Add the top with tomato jam and enjoy.